Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gerbil Care: Bedding

Bedding for all small animals is critical. There are so many bedding options on the market though that it can be hard to choose which one. Some of the options may even be harmful to your little critter, so its important to become well educated on which ones are best and which are the worst. For my furry friends, I put them on Carefresh, a soft well absorbent bedding which I trust. It can be a bit dusty though, so be careful. There are other bedding options similar to Carefresh, however. ECO Bedding is also a really good choice, and good nesting material. < It looks like crinkled up cardboard. I would avoid pine shavings, corncob bedding, and "fluff" (NEVER get the cottony looking material at the pet stores, it could harm your pet). You can use aspen bedding, although there has been problems with respiratory infections with it...and it is not as soft as the other options out there. Whatever bedding you pick, make sure to give the gerbils plenty, they are natural burrowing and digging creatures. I would recommend 3-6 inches of bedding, also make sure to spot clean it daily.

Here is a link to the ECO Bedding, however it is in purple. I get the natural brown kind, but I did not see that one on Amazon.
 http://www.amazon.com/Vitakraft-Purple-Small-Animal-Eco-Bedding/dp/B00BO9U7T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363109247&sr=8-1&keywords=vitakraft+eco+bedding

Here is a link to the Carefresh bedding. You can also get it in different colors, this isn't the only option but is the one I use.
http://www.amazon.com/CareFresh-Ultra-Small-Bedding-50-liter/dp/B004UMM3VS/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1363109328&sr=1-5&keywords=carefresh+ultra


- Maddie, The Life Of A Gerbil.

* NOTE: I AM NOT TRAINED IN ANY WAY FOR THE CARING OF ANIMALS. THESE ARE MY PERSONAL OPINIONS, AND HOW I CARE FOR MY ANIMALS.

No comments:

Post a Comment