Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gerbil Care: Cages

Your new furry friend is going to need a place to live! Don't know whether to pick a bin cage, wire cage, or an aquarium? I would suggest an aquarium or bin cage. My 3 gerbils are all in aquariums, and I love aquariums! If you have only 1 gerbil, then I would suggest a 10 gallon aquarium. You can put 2 gerbils in a 10 gallon, however I would suggest a 20 gallon for 2-3 gerbils. A 30 gallon for 3-
4 gerbils, and so on. For a bin cage, please be sure to get a big one! Whatever cage you pick, be sure to get a lid! < Gerbils running around the house wouldn't be good! You can buy them, or make your own. You could make your own out of 1/4-1/2 inch hardware cloth, then you can bend it to fit on the top of your aquarium cage, and use some binder clips to keep it down. Or, if you are handy with tools, which I am not, then you could build a wood or metal frame for your lid, I suppose. For a bin cage, when you buy your bin some come with those plastic lids (you can buy a bin at Walmart), then you MUST drill SEVERAL holes in the lid. You will need a LOT of them for proper ventilation. Also, for ANY cage you need to clean it out every 1-2 weeks. You could get a pet disinfectant from a pet store, since it will be hard to wash a big aquarium. If you have a bin cage however, I would suggest washing it out with warm, soapy water.


 Above Picture: This is my 20 gallon tank for my 2 gerbils Chippy and Shadow. Its even longer, the picture got cut off a bit. They also have treats, timothy hay, and a ceramic food dish you can not see in the pic.


Above picture: Buster's 10 gallon tank! Oh, and he wanted to be in the pic!









- Maddie, The Life Of A Gerbil.


* NOTE: I AM NOT TRAINED IN ANY WAY FOR CARING FOR PETS. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINIONS, AND HOW I CARE FOR MY ANIMALS.

1 comment: