Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gerbil Care: Diet

Your gerbil's diet is very important. After all, you are what you eat! Your gerbil's diet should consist of a commercial diet and also some fresh fruits and veggies. For the commercial diet, I suggest Oxbow Healthy Handfuls Hamster and Gerbil food. It is a plain mix, no nuts or seeds. Just the same thing, however it is very healthy for your gerbil. Another one I would suggest is the Ecotrition Hamster and Gerbil food. It is a mixture of seeds, and nuts, and all kinds of different things! It is healthy too, but I combine the Oxbow and Ecotrition for my gerbils.

Above picture: This is the Ecotrition food. Sorry for the quality, right now my HD camera is broke... boo.





 Above picture: This is the Oxbow food. Again, sorry for the quality of pic.




Your gerbils should also eat fresh fruits and veggies. Some fresh fruits and veggies you could feed your gerbil are: Strawberries, Banana, Carrots, Broccoli, Apple, Peas, Cucumber, just to name a few.
* Make sure to pick up any fruits and veggies in the cage after 6 hours if not eaten. Your gerbils should not eat spoiled fruit or vegetables. *

How much fruits and veggies can your gerbils have? My rule of thumb is to go with he size of your pinky nail! That is the perfect amount of fruits and vegetables for your gerbils. I would suggest feeding your gerbils fresh fruits and veggies 2-4 times per week.

* TIP: Get a ceramic food dish for your gerbils. Not only will it be harder for them to tip it over, but they can't chew it. If you use a plastic food dish your gerbils will definitely chew it, and they should not consume plastic. *

Above picture: My ceramic food dishes my gerbils use, please ignore the food crumbs on the bottom! I got it at PetSmart for $1.99.

Also you can feed your gerbils timothy hay, they really enjoy it! I give it to them by the handful. I recommend the Oxbow Timothy Hay. 

Your gerbils will also LOVE treats! Some you can give them is: Nuts (only certain kinds), Seeds (only certain kinds), and also PLAIN cheerios! You could also buy commercial gerbils treats, but try to buy healthy ones with little sugar.


* NOTE: I AM NOT TRAINED IN ANY WAY FOR CARING FOR PETS. THESE ARE MY PERSONAL OPINIONS, AND HOW I CARE FOR MY PETS *


No comments:

Post a Comment